Dental issues are extremely painful as the nerves are located extremely close to the brain. Therefore dental pain is assumed to be one of the most painful occurrences. But most of them can be tended to at home. In fact, some can even be controlled before the issue reaches a dentist.
Some of the most common complaints of teeth are:
1. Sensitive teeth-
as we age, we are more prone to sensitive teeth. These can occur due to improper tooth hygiene, spicy food, excess intake of fast food and in some cases, it can also be hereditary.
- Caused by exposure of nerve roots as the gums retreat back
- Treatment – this can occur if the person uses a whitening tooth paste for tartar control. Most of these contain baking soda and are abrasive. Some also contain phosphates which are also harmful. Most of us have a habit of brushing hard and this can lead to receding of gums. Try to have a paste that has fluoride in it and if the pain continuous, then consult a dentist.
2. Lost tooth-
Though we believe that this happens only during milk teeth, even adults can lose teeth through trauma.
- Caused by trying to open a beer bottle with your choppers or falling flat on your face, reasons for a lost tooth can be many.
- Treatment- Wash the broken tooth with clean water and with the help of a soft cloth, try to place it back in place. Then gently bite on to the cloth and maintain the position for some time. There may be open vessels that could heal if the tooth is placed back in time. In case the tooth does not get reattached (and there are high chances that it won’t it the tissue is dead) then head to your nearest dentist as fast as you can. You might need a root canal.
3. Burnt palate-
If you love food, then this could be something that would have happened to you, more often than not.
- Caused- hurry to dig into a slice of pizza.
- Treatment- if your mouth feels like a hot furnace and you think you can breathe fire, then you are in definite pain. This can lead to severe wound that can become painful even when you have acidic food such as tomatoes and oranges. You can rush to a drug store and apply Kanka, a liquid anesthetic that can be applied to saliva coated tissue. It helps to protect the burnt area. If the pain is severe, ask your dentist to put you on steroids that helps to sooth the area and speeds up the healing process.
4. Burnt tongue-
if you love your coffee hot, then this could definitely happen to you,
- Causes- hot liquid products
- Treatment- Add a spoonful of salt to water and rinse your mouth with it. This can be extremely soothing. Salt helps to decrease the chances if infection and also plays and active part in neutralizing the acidic environment in the mouth.
5. Jaw Soreness-
this can happen to people who have a habit of grinding their teeth in the night
- Cause- teeth grinding which can lead to temporomandibular (TMD) disorder. It can lead to severe headache.
- Treatment- it has been observed that people who are extremely mentally disturbed may grind their teeth more in their sleep. Therefore it is recommended that people who have a habit of grinding their teeth in the night adopt some relaxation techniques before they hit the sack. This will decrease chances of teeth grinding.
6. Canker sore –
this can also be a highly painful activity as it makes it hard to eat and drink anything.
- Causes- there are way too many causes of canker sores. From having food that have sharp edges such as chips, salsa and nachos to having spicy food, various things can irritate the teeth.
- Treatment- Dab some vegetable oil in a cotton ball and place it on the sore a couple of times in a day. The oil covers the sore areas and helps to avoid irritation. To ensure that the sore does not get inflamed have an antibiotic. It is best to avoid hot and spicy food till the sore heals.