Cramps during pregnancy are one of the most common occurrences during the first trimester (initial three months). In some cases, it is treated as a sign and symptoms of implantation. In most cases, it is not a sign of concern but if this is accompanied by bleeding or spotting, then medical intervention is required.
Symptoms of Cramps in Early Pregnancy
Some of the most common symptoms of cramps in early
- Sharp shooting pain, usually occurring in the dead of the night, causing the woman to get up from her sleep.
- The pain is usually in the calf, thigh or foot. It is theorized that during pregnancy, size of the girth increases leading to tension in the muscles that can cause these cramps. It can also occur during the third trimester.
Causes of Cramps in Early Pregnancy
- Having cramps in early pregnancy has been linked to genetics. If the mother had these symptoms during pregnancy, most likely, the daughter will have them too.
- During pregnancy, there is change in the circulation of blood that can lead to this condition.
- When a woman becomes pregnant, the size and weight of the uterus increases and this can press on the leg blood vessels.
- During pregnancy, women often suffer from muscle fatigue which can lead to cramps.
- Deficiency of salt, calcium, potassium and magnesium can lead to early pregnancy cramps.
- Increase intake of phosphorous can interfere with absorption of calcium leading to early pregnancy cramps.
Management of early pregnancy cramps
Early pregnancy cramps can be excruciatingly painful and hence need to be managed. If they are much more than just early signs of pregnancy, then timely management can help evade complications.
- During early pregnancy cramps, sit on the ground or on the bed and stretch your legs out, heels pointing out first and then gently bend your toes.? Though this may add to the pain, it helps to get rid of the cramps in a short while.
- Press the area with hot water bottle. This is said to ease the cramp in sometime.
- Ask someone to massage your calf vigorously, when you start to have the pain.
How to prevent early pregnancy cramps?
Do not over do a task as that can increase your level of stress.